Calculus Refresher Course for Math Teachers
Catalog Description – This module is a calculus refresher course designed for math teachers. It covers a review of the topics covered in differential and integral calculus with an emphasis on reform. The course covers the material using the content and pedagogy of Calculus&Mathematica, as run on Mathematica.
Calculus&Mathematica is a modern calculus course based on an interactive, electronic text. It is currently offered on campus at a number of universities, and by distance education at many high schools.
Credit: 3 grad. sem. hrs.
Common Core Standards for Mathemtical Practice that are emphasized include:
- 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- 2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- 3. Construct viable arguments.
- 4. Model with mathematics.
- 5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
Students in this course will review first semester calculus and submit a final project based on teaching calculus and the NCTM standards.