Dynamic Geometry with Geometer's Sketchpad
The purpose of this module is to show teachers how the dynamic features of geometry software such as the Geometer's Sketchpad can be used in geometry courses to demonstrate theorems, to foster experimentation, to support problem solving, and to encourage conjecture. Teachers will also learn new geometry content closely related to the geometry that is taught in high school. This module was developed at our MTL partner, Eastern Illinois University. Credit: 1 grad. sem. hr.
Common Core Standards for Mathemtical Practice that are emphasized include:
- 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- 3. Construct viable arguments.
- 4. Model with mathematics.
- 5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
- 7. Look for and make use of structure.
Dynamic Geometry with Geometer's Sketchpad was written by Peter Andrews of Eastern Illinois University during in 1997. It was edited by Tony Peressini in September 1998.